21 December 2007

I Am Legend

Ok, so I'm not really a "horror flick" kind of girl, but I had heard my mom talk about this book and I knew it was a modern remake of the cult classic, Omega Man., so I thought it might be worth seeing... Fast forward to Wednesday night:

It is, without a doubt, the SCARIEST movie I have seen in a REALLY long time!!! I am not kidding. This movie will mess with your mind.

But it's also intriguing.
A modern film with a clearly religious message and an obvious Christian allegory -- who woulda thunk it?
SPOILER ALERT
(don't read unless you've already seen it or aren't planning to):

Will Smith (one of my favorite actors) does a superb job as the film's main character. Intent on "saving the people of the earth from certain demise," he ultimately surrenders his own life in order to save theirs. Just before he lays down his life, he pleads with the "monsters" who, though once human, have lost nearly all evidence of their humanity.
He tells them: I can save you; just give me a chance -- I can save you.
But they are only intent upon his -- and ultimately, their own -- destruction.

I couldn't help but think, if we were "exposed" for what we truly are -- with the effects of our sinful nature displayed for all to see -- we would not be so very different from those hideous "monsters."
And Christ is pleading with us to give Him a chance to change us into something new and better than what we are now.
But (like those degenerate beasts) so many choose to stubbornly press forward in their self-destructive, chaotic existence, refusing the only glimpse of hope they will ever see.
Death is certain, yet still they resist.

The acting is wonderful, the suspense and scare factors are through the roof, but the story of man's self-destruction through his own intellectual arrogance is a message that is so relevant today. In this age when we -- through scientific progress and modern innovation -- act as though we are nothing less than gods, ourselves: This movie is a wake-up call.
It demands a reevaluation of what we think we "know," and what we believe.

Would I see it again? I don't know... Like I said, I'm not really a fan of scary movies, but the message behind this film definitely deserves consideration. If you are not weak of heart, I highly recommend it.
You can check it out here:
I AM LEGEND TRAILER

No comments: