05 November 2008

A New Day Dawning...

Our new President of the United States:

My friend, Carole wrote an excellent post on her blog.

Everyone should read it.
Especially Christians.

No matter how you feel, personally, about the outcome of this election, we should ALL be praying for our new leader.

For me, I feel an intriguing hope...

While I opposed Obama on SEVERAL issues (abortion, taxes, health care...), I do NOT think he is the anti-Christ.
I am not in a panic nor am I dismayed.
But I am praying!

I pray to God to give our new President wisdom and guidance, discernment and discretion.

I pray that our new President will unite this country as never before... that he will bring healing to race relations that have borne the anger and hostility from generations of abuse and prejudice.

I pray that our new President will give hope to American children of EVERY heritage (Asian, Hispanic, African, European, Persian, etc) that they, too, could one day rise to the office of
President of the United States.

I pray that our new President will once more restore this great nation's good name and reputation with the rest of the world, and that he will do so not by subservience to un-American ideologies, but through good example & noble intent.

I believe a new day is dawning in our great country & it is a day that no Christian should fear.

Our God still sits on His throne & He is still in control. We have only to do as we have been commanded:

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." -- 1 Timothy 2: 1-4 NIV

God Bless the USA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Summer,
Wonderful prayer for our president regardless of who was elected! I enjoyed your friend Carole's blog too.
As a Christian who also happens to be a democrat I have often felt unwanted at church. I have been made to feel that I could'nt be a real Christian if I supported certain candidates for office. I have been praying for years that politics would be left out of church. I am not saying Christians shouldn't be politically active but, I don't believe preachers should tell us how to vote. Too often that has happened in houses of worship.
But, the main thing Summer you and Carole rightly point to is that first of all we serve God not man and that the things we do will change the world for the better as Jesus would have us to do.
Although I haven't done these things in recent years because I have 2 children with disabilities that take up a great deal of time I have volunteered in soup kitchens, provided my students with much needed supplies and even food in the inner city schools, tutored unwed mothers so they could get their high school diplomas and helped transport babies being given up for adoption so that privacy and cooling off periods were not violated. These things will do more to change the world that laws. Summer the things your church does is truly the things Jesus calls the church to do and your church should be proud of its outreach.
So no matter who is our president or where our political leanings are we are all children of God called to serve Him. As Summer so rightly points out we are also called to pray for our leaders even if and maybe espeically if we don't agree with them. The fear factor that is being discussed has gone too far. Even my 8th grader niece who attends a Christian School is saying things like we are all doomed and Obama will destroy the country and maybe she needs to leave the country. I am saddened this has been introduced into her life through a church ministry. I pray for an inclusive church and an inclusive nation. With God's grace that will happen.
Sharon